rhydoLABZ GPS dongle is a GPS receiver in USB dongle format. Its compact size makes it portable for its user. With the help of rhydoLABZ GPS dongle, user can easily add GPS function to their Laptops, PC’s etc. The GPS dongle is built with CP210X USB to UART Bridge Virtual COM Port (VCP) drivers from Silicon Labs and drivers are available for Windows, Linux and MAC.
rhydoLABZ GPS dongle is made with ultra small, high gain third generation POT (Patch On Top) antenna with high sensitivity and low power consumption. There is no prior configurations required, just plugin to USB socket of Laptop, You can receive the data (NMEA-0183) directly using any terminal program (Hyper terminal/ Real term etc). This is a stand alone GPS Module and requires no external components. Power is taken from USB port itself. It has a very compact and easy to integrate design with the ultimate tracking performances. It is also ideal for those who wish to plug-and-play GPS receiver module into their small form factor design. The GPS engine providing a solution that high position and speed accuracy performances as well as high sensitivity and tracking capabilities in urban conditions & provides standard NMEA0183 strings in “raw” mode.
The GPS chip sets inside the module are designed by MediaTek Inc, which is the world’s leading digital media solution provider and largest fab-less IC company in Taiwan. The module can support up to 66 channels. The GPS solution enables small form factor devices. They deliver major advancements in GPS performances, accuracy, integration, computing power and flexibility.
- MediaTek MT3339 Chip set, L1 Frequency, C/A code, 66 Channels
- USB interface over CP2102
- Data output Baud rate: 9600 bps (Default)
- Standard NMEA0183 output format
- On-board optional connection for RTC backup power (2.0 V~4.3 V)
- On-board MIC5219 Low Dropout Voltage Regulator
- 3D Fix Flag Indication and Power indication LEDs
- Provision for software command input and firmware update.
- Ultra ‐ High Sensitivity: ‐ 165dBm(w/o patch antenna), up to 45dB C/N of SVs in open sky reception.
- Position Accuracy: <3.0M 2D-RMS
- DGPS (WAAS / EGNOS / MASA / GAGAN) Support
- Multi-path Compensation ; E-GSM-900 Band Rejection
- 12 multi ‐ tone active interference canceller
- Cold Start is Under 35 seconds (Typical)
- Warm Start is Under 33 seconds (Typical)
- Hot Start is Under 1 second (Typical)
- Max. Update Rate : 10Hz (Default: 1 Hz)
How To Communicate with PC
The first thing you want to do is to install the GPS USB Dongle CP210X VCP driver (Virtual Com Port driver) for your PC because Virtual COM port (VCP) makes USB communication with GPS Module (please go through the link CP210X Virtual Com Port(VCP) driver Installation). The chip on the board translates the serial data coming from a device into USB data and vice-versa.
- Once you have done all these procedures, check for the COM port in device manager.
- In GPS Dongle “3D LED”(green) blinks in every fraction of seconds to indicate weak signal from satellites. The GPS receiver will send GPS data based on NMEA 0183 protocol to the PC. The status on the GPRMC header shown as ‘V’ indicates invalid data as shown below.
- When the GPS receiver gets stronger signal the “3D LED” is turned off. The status ‘A’ on the GPRMC header indicates valid data which is shown below .
Shop with us