In our webstore store, we’ve added up lots of great new HDMI-compatible displays for your Raspberry Pi or anything else with compatible video output. As we already know a Raspberry Pi constitutes 90% features of a normal PC; by configuring a RPi with a touch screen LCD, its area of application can be extended. With suitable Connectors, OS image and Driver a suitable 5 inch LCD touch screen can be easily configured to a Raspberry Pi.
- Raspberry Pi 2
- 5inch HDMI LCD (B)
- HDMI cable
- USB type A plug to micro B plug cable
- Touch pen
- SD card (Min. 8 GB)
We could interface an LCD touch screen by either of the following two methods:
- Programming a ready-to-use system image file to your Raspberry Pi board.
- Installing useful drivers to customize your system by configuring the original Raspbian image file to support this LCD module.
A ready to use system image file has a Raspbian OS with the drivers installed for LCD Touch screen support. The only thing that we want to perform is to write the corresponding image file to the SD card and connect it in to the Raspberry Pi. For enabling the touch property follow few steps of calibration and the LCD touch screen display is ready to go.
How to Write an image file in to a SD card ?
- Connect the SD card(Min. 8 GB) to your PC/laptop; you can use a card reader or an SD card slot or any other means of connection.
- Format the SD card using SD card Formatter Software.
- Launch Win32DiskImager. Click on the blue folder icon and browse to the location where you saved the Raspberry Pi SD card image file (.img extension) for the touch screen. The DVD has an image file named RPI_2B_5.0_800x480_cap_usb_touch_2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy_3.18.16v7_20150809.img. Copy this file in to the PC and press the blue icon in the Win32DiskImager for browsing and select this file.
- Press the write button to write the image file SD card.
- Once done, insert the sd card to your Pi.
- Now connect the LCD to Pi using HDMI cable.
- For touch functionality connect the USB Touch interface on the LCD to Pi using a USB type-A male to micro-B cable.
- Power up the Raspberry Pi and you can see the display on the LCD screen.
- Next step is calibration of the touch screen. After connecting to the Raspberry Pi board, enter the following command under the terminal: DISPLAY=:0.0 xinput_calibrator
- The calibration interface will prompt for a four-point calibration, as shown below:
- To finish up the touch calibration click each of those red cross markings one by one. Use a stylus to get the correct calibration.
- When finished, the system will generate a string of new calibration data, such as:
12345Section “InputClass”Identifier “calibration”MatchProduct “ADS7843 TouchController”Option “Calibration” “253 3957 224 3820”EndSection
- Create a txt file on the desktop, and copy the calibration data for future use.
- Remove the calibration file in the system using the following command:
1sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
- Create a new calibration file using the following commands:
123sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dsudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
- Once done, the text editor Nano will be run. Please paste the content in the new txt file into the text editor.
- Press the keys Ctrl+X and select the option Y, then press Enter to save the configuration and exit.
- Execute the command sudo reboot to restart the system. When finished, the touch configuration will be valid.
Steps to configure the original Raspbian image file to support this LCD module
- Copy the file RPI2B_B_B+_USB_TOUCH_RES_5.0_RASPBIAN.tar.gz into the Raspbian system, and unzip it. That is, enter the following command in its LX terminal:
1sudo tar zxvf RPI2B_B_B+_USB_TOUCH_RES_5.0_RASPBIAN.tar.gz
- Run the script USB_TOUCH_RES_5.0_RASPBIAN located in the folder RPI2B_B_B+_USB_TOUCH_RES_5.0_RASPBIAN using following commands:
12cd RPI2B_B_B+_USB_TOUCH_RES_5.0_RASPBIANsudo ./USB_TOUCH_RES_5.0_RASPBIAN
- When finished, the system will reboot automatically. And the LCD Touchscreen will be completely functional.
Shop With Us
- Click here to buy Raspberry Pi 2 from RhydoLabz.
- Click here to buy Raspberry Pi 2 Starter Kit from RhydoLabz.
- Click here to buy Raspberry Accessories from RhydoLabz.
- Click here to buy 5 inch Touch Screen LCD for Raspberry Pi with HDMI Interface
- Click here to buy 5 inch Touch Screen LCD for Raspberry Pi with Bicolor Case