Pololu 5V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U1V11F5 generates higher output voltages from input voltages as low as 0.5 V, and it also automatically switches to a linear down-regulation mode when the input voltage exceeds the output. This makes it great for powering 5 V electronics projects from 1 to 3 NiMH, NiCd, or alkaline cells or from a single lithium-ion cell. Additionally, unlike most boost regulators, this unit offers a true shutdown option that turns off power to the load (with typical boost regulators, the input voltage will pass directly through to the output when they are disabled).
When boosting, this module acts as a switching regulator (also called switched-mode power supplies (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converters) and has a typical efficiency between 70% to 90%. The available output current is a function of the input voltage, output voltage, and efficiency (see Typical Efficiency and Output Current section below), but the input current can typically be as high as 1.2 A.
NOTE: The regulator’s thermal shutdown engages at around 140°C and helps prevent damage from overheating, but it does not have short-circuit or reverse-voltage protection.
Features of Pololu 5V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U1V11F5:
- Input voltage: 0.5 V to 5.5 V
- Fixed 5 V output with 4% accuracy
- True shutdown option that turns off power to the load
- Automatic linear down-regulation when the input voltage is greater than the output voltage
- 1.2 A switch allows for input currents up to 1.2 A
- Good efficiency at light load: <1 mA typical no-load quiescent current, though it can exceed 1 mA for very low input voltages (<100 μA typical quiescent current with SHDN = LOW)
- Integrated over-temperature shutoff
- Small size: 0.45″ × 0.6″; × 0.1″ (12 × 15 × 3 mm)
- 1x Pololu 5V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U1V11F5
- 1x 4 straight male header strip
- 1x 4 right-angle male header strip