The Pololu 3pi+ 32U4 robot is a high-performance mobile platform based on the Arduino-compatible ATmega32U4 MCU. Its many features include dual quadrature encoders for closed-loop speed or position control, line sensors, front bump sensors, and a full IMU, all packed into a robot that fits in the palm of your hand. This Hyper Edition version is assembled with high-speed 15:1 HPCB 6V Micro Metal Gearmotors.
The 3pi+ 32U4 is a versatile, high-performance, user-programmable robot that measures just 9.7 cm (3.8") in diameter. At its heart is an ATmega32U4 AVR microcontroller from Microchip (formerly Atmel), and like our A-Star 32U4 programmable controllers, the 3pi+ 32U4 features a USB interface and ships preloaded with an Arduino-compatible bootloader, so all you need to program it is a USB A to Micro-B cable (not included). A software add-on is available that makes it easy to program the robot from the Arduino environment, and have Arduino libraries and example sketches to help get you started. For advanced users who want to customize or enhance their robots with additional peripherals, the robot’s power rails, power system controls, and microcontroller’s I/O lines can be accessed via several 0.1"-pitch expansion ports.
The 3pi+ features two H-bridge motor drivers and a variety of integrated sensors, including a pair of quadrature encoders for closed-loop motor control, a complete inertial measurement unit (3-axis accelerometer, gyro, and magnetometer), five downward-facing reflectance sensors for line-following or edge-detection, and left and right bump sensors along the front face of the robot. Three on-board pushbuttons offer a convenient interface for user input, and an LCD, buzzer, and indicator LEDs allow the robot to provide feedback.
The robot also features a unique power system that runs the motors at a constant 8 V independent of the battery charge level, so the speed of the motors does not vary with the battery voltage.
The 3pi+ 32U4 robot is available as a kit or fully assembled with three different motor options
What else you will need:
- Four AAA batteries: the 3pi+ robot works with both alkaline and NiMH batteries, though recommend rechargeable NiMH cells
- A USB A to Micro-B cable to connect the robot to your computer for programming and debugging.
This product is the assembled Hyper Edition of the 3pi+ 32U4 Robot. It is very difficult to control and fast enough to damage itself from impacts, so it is only recommended for advanced users. We strongly recommend keeping motor speeds below 50% on this version.
Comparison with the Original Pololu 3pi robot.
The 3pi+ 32U4 offers many major improvements over the original 3pi, including:
- ATmega32U4 microcontroller with Arduino-compatible bootloader can be programmed directly through a USB connection
- Quadrature encoders on both motors for closed-loop position and speed control
- Full 9-axis IMU (three-axis gyro, accelerometer, and compass)
- Bottom-loading battery holders keep batteries accessible even if additional levels are added
- Full wrap-around bumper to protect electronics from collisions
- Two bump sensors on the front
The 3pi+ 32U4 uses a different microcontroller with different pin mappings compared to the older 3pi, and some of the software library interfaces are different, so programs written for the original 3pi will not work on the 3pi+ 32U4 without modification.
- 1x 3pi+ 32U4 Robot - Hyper Edition (15:1 HPCB Motors), Assembled
Documents / Downloads:
- The 3pi is powered by 4X AAA batteries, which are not included. We recommend rechargeable 4 x AAA NiMH or Alkaline cells.
- This version it is difficult to control and fast enough to damage itself from impacts, so it is only recommended for advanced users. A spare 15:1 gearbox is included.
There are currently no any reviews about this product.
There are currently no any question about this product.